February 26, 2018

Bring On The Heat


I always loved the idea of self care, the idea that attending to my needs and consciously taking care of myself is valuable. I loved the idea of blocking out time just for me to heal, grow, refresh, and relax. I would look longingly at others who mastered the task. I would marvel at their ability to disconnect from society and connect to self. It was a lovely concept but foreign to me. When I received a gift certificate for a massage from a client after a long challenging birth, I decided to stick my toe into the self care arena. It was the perfect time to try. I was tired and ready to be refreshed. I was really anxious as the hour for the appointment approached. I wasn't able to rest completely. I kept worrying that someone was in labor and trying to reach me (no one was) and that I was going to miss their birth. But it felt good, refreshing even, and reminded me that I needed to take care of myself to be whole enough to take care of others. At first, I took baby steps, a pedicure here, a facial there, a massage here, a pilates class there. And then I ran, making sure to self care at least once but usually two or three times a week. Sometimes it meant a 15 min tea break with my phone in the other room. Sometimes it was a 2 mile walk while listening to a podcast. Sometimes it was a 60 minute massage. And sometimes it was a 20 minute power nap. I learned to self care emotionally, socially, psychologically, spiritually, and physically. 
And then one day after going down many self care rabbit holes, I discovered the ultimate self care ritual, peristeam hydrotherapy. It connected me on all levels. Peristeam hydrotherapy (aka vaginal steaming) is the therapeutic use of steam for healing and maintaining the perineum and internal and external reproductive organs. I started experimenting. I kept trying different protocols until I found the perfect combination for me. My twice a month 30 minute steam kept me toned, strengthened, happy, and relaxed. I loved it so much and got such good results that I began sharing with others. And they got good results. I would follow the therapeutic protocols and they got good results. The benefits I see include:

  • Cleansing the uterus
  • Stabilizing fertility
  • Preventing and correcting prolapse
  • Reducing fibroids, cysts, and growths
  • Eliminating cramps and uterine pain
  • Treating infections (UTI, yeast, bacterial)
  • Promoting a "perfect" period
  • Balancing hormones
  • Increasing circulation
  • Reducing bloating
  • Tightening the skin
  • Returning the postpartum body to the prepregnant state
  • Bringing the body into harmony with nature
And there are many more benefits. I am witnessing healing, cleansing, toning, reducing, balancing, and returning weekly. And it's the perfect way to teach about self care. It happens regularly and you can't do anything but relax while partaking in your steam. Participating in self care is my way to remain whole. And when I'm whole, I can care for others. And when others are cared for, they can be whole. And when they are whole, they can care for others. And the positive cycle repeats. 
Find your self care ritual and embrace your whole. And if steaming appeals to you, reach out. We can develop a steaming protocol that meets your individual needs and enhances your self care. We should all be whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment